Thursday, November 1, 2007

Yuma Prison/Colorado River

Peggy and Mike took me sightseeing to the Yuma Prison. They had visited it earlier and thought I would enjoy it. Were they ever right.

The prison was built when Arizona was a territory, before it became a state. The prisoners mined the granite on the hill and built their own prison. Granite mining remained a primary occupation for the prisoners throughout the life of the prison. The pictures of the Dark Cell I think are unique. Prisoners hollowed out three cells from the living rock with only a small air hole to admit light. These were used as punishment cells! I was uncomfortable being in one with the door open and the sun streaming in!! The first picture is of what the prison looked like in its heyday. Note the wide Colorado River flowing along at the base of the hill then look at the same river today. It has shrunk to a minuscule flow. Most of the materials to build the prison (except for the granite) were brought here on the Colorado River which was navigable from the Gulf of California (by Baja California). Today the stream is small enough to wade, I think. A little research reveals that the federal government built the Imperial Diversion Dam upstream of Yuma and diverts 90% of the Colorado's water to irrigation and city water systems. Mexico gets what is left. So much for downstream water rights.

We have explored the area from here to the Mexican border and I find my old US history coming to life. Remember the Gadsden purchase?? It was a strip of land purchased from Mexico so a trans-continental railroad could be built. If you look at a map, the part of Arizona which extends further south than California is that purchase. We drove into it the other day and drove through the town of Gadsden. We also crossed the Gila River which is ringing memory bells but I can't place it yet. Anyway, living in my history book!

Off to San Diego tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find but don't expect expert pictures as my photographer is not coming along!

No comments: