Tuesday, September 25, 2007

San Francisco II

A critic advised me that I had skipped a number of interesting things in my San Francisco last day blog. Unfortunately, she's right. I got lazy and decided not to rig up the microphone and just type a few thoughts. Now I know why I bought this dictating program. I'm too lazy to type! By the way, yesterday's blog said Marin Heights with the correct name is Marin Highlands. Also, I failed to mention that San Quentin prison is within miles of this place where we're camping. We went by at on the ferry.

So , about yesterday. We sort of wandered through the city to see those places on my list which were not crossed off yet. We started with another cable car ride to the famous crooked street, Lombard Street. I was a little disappointed but glad I saw it. Then we found, with the help of a native, the Italian section. We came upon a pretty little park with a band playing, a crowd watching, mounted policemen patrolling, and to classic MG's -- the old square cut type with right-hand drive. Beautiful! Just up the street, we found the U.S. restaurant which had been recommended. We had a (is divine an adjective for food?) meal. Stuffed is what we were. The waitress, who was clearly the boss, the hostess, the organizer, offered pasta with the dinners. Peggy said she'd take anything. When the waitress offered the same thing to Mike, he asked like what? We were all shocked to hear not just penne and spaghetti, but ravioli. They both ordered ravioli which turned out to be the restaurant's specialty. Hand stuffed with meat and spinach and cheese! Damn, I should've ordered that! But I had my fettuccine Alfredo with chicken. It was just as good!

Then we managed to find a cable car to take us to Chinatown again. Some one of the books I had researched said be sure to go to this alley where the Chinese fortune cookie factory was. We found it with the help of the city delivery postal worker! It was great to see how fortune cookies are made. The thin wafers are on a conveyor system held vertically as they come out of the oven. The worker talks one hot way for off the conveyor, picks up a fortune slip, holds it against the way for which she drapes over a horizontal metal pin. The wafer is still pliable and droops down over the pin and gets a quick pinch from the operator. And on to the next one. I, of course, couldn't resist the almond cookies also made at that bakery. They are delicious. It went on from there to the oldest cathedral in San Francisco, St. Mary's, which is located on the corner of Chinatown.

We then took my favorite form of transportation down to the Embarcadero. I simply can't tell you how much I enjoy riding on the left running board of the cable car. I don't know if it's because I get a thrill out of being able to ride such a thing up and down those steep hills, without a panic pill. After all, it's the closest I'll ever get to a roller coaster! I just love meeting a cable car going the opposite direction. You pass within inches of the people coming at you. I was wearing a backpack and if I hadn't turned it will people on the left side of the oncoming cable car. Maybe I'm turning into a thrill seeker in my old age. Do you think that's possible?

Today we drove south from Marin County, across the Golden gate Bridge, south across San Francisco and onto Route 1. This is the Coast Highway. We followed it for about 30 miles south. One of the first things that caught my attention when large signs saying Pumpkins,U Pick Strawberries, Corn Maze. Imagine those three crops available to the public on the same day. We saw lots of truck farm fields including one filled with cabbage like plants, Brussels sprouts?

We stopped at Pompanio State Beach. Gorgeous breakers, beautiful sand, me in the water. I just had to get a toe into the Pacific! I succeeded and then Peggy said I needed proof, a picture. I went back in, turned toward Peggy, and was swamped above my knees by breaking wave. Much warmer than Maine in August. In fact, look at the pics. Those after my dunking are from this trip. Another unforgettable day. I am so lucky.

No comments: